Merlin Missy has been active in online fandom since 1994. She likes fanfics with plots and happy endings.View all articles by Merlin Missy
The best piece of mail I ever received was about my very first story, "To Every Purpose." The woman went through it page by page, tearing apart every detail, pointing out every flaw in characterization, dialogue, pacing, and mood. A few things were in there on purpose, and I told her so, but others were things I never even noticed. After receiving over a hundred "This was Great!" letters, it was a bitter pill to swallow. I can never thank her enough.
When you receive negative feedback, don't automatically flame the sender. Read it, think about it, and decide if it has validity. Then make your own decision as to what you're going to do with your next story, because there will always be a next story. And it's going to be a great one.
Spread The Word
- Movie Review - Ghost Rider: The Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- Movie Review (counter) - The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010)
- Video Game Review - Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Calling all Browncoats!
- The Four-Leafed Clover of Fanfiction
- FanLib Shutting Doors August 4
- Graphic Novel/Manga Review--In Odd We Trust
- How to Win Fans and Influence Fandom
- Don't Spit in the Alphabet Soup
- In Defense of Creativity
- Interview with Keith R.A. DeCandido
- Cultural Appropriation Is Not Cool
- Dribbles and Drabbles
- The Writer in the Mirror
- Mary and Me
- Anything You Can Write, I Can Write Better -- Fanfiction Awards
- Faces Familiar, Faces Fresh, Faces Fiennes
- Character Counts
- A Day At the Biggest Mall on Earth: Fanfic Archiving and You
- Journeyman Episode 4 Review -- "The Year of the Rabbit"
- Constructing Criticism
- The Outer Culture Is You
- The (Original) Mary Sue Litmus Test
- Fantopia, Or, How to Live With Fellow Fans (And Not Kill Them)
- Mary Sue, Who Are You?