Still Making Amends: Six Apart Selling Permanent Accounts on LiveJournal
Melissa WilsonView all articles by Melissa Wilson
According to SA honcho Barak Berkowitz, "W[e] at Six Apart care about freedom of speech, protection from sexual violence, creating an economy that encourages sharing, and using technology to improve the world. As many of you have said, those are easy words to say, but actions speak louder than words. We agree. So we're putting our money where our mouth is, and giving you a way to influence how much money we give."
Not everyone is convinced this is an honest effort. Several users have commented that they don't want to spend money on a permanent account until and unless Six Apart finishes clarifying its policies on privacy and freedom of expression. Many fans don't want to support the company either for reasons of solidarity with those who were affected by the suspensions, or simply because no matter what Six Apart's stated policies, they do not feel LiveJournal is a safe space for their pursuits. There have been calls for users to donate the $25 directly to their choice of the above organizations.
At least the pirate songs have stopped.
Spread The Word
- Movie Review - Ghost Rider: The Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- Movie Review (counter) - The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010)
- Video Game Review - Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Calling all Browncoats!
- Dreamwidth Goes Live
- Graphic Novel/Manga Review--In Odd We Trust
- Editorial: Livejournal Advisory Board Elections
- Editorial: Missing Interests and Planned User Strike on Livejournal
- Livejournal Officially Jumps the Shark
- In Soviet Russia, Blog Writes You
- Livejournal Changes Policy on Adult Material Again
- Faces Familiar, Faces Fresh, Faces Fiennes
- Spoilers all around for the Whoniverse
- Editorial -- Livejournal Draws a Line in the Sand
- Editorial -- Livejournal Employee Publicly Mocks Fandom
- This Just In: Power Outage to Blame for Six Apart Downtime
- Livejournal Bans Underage Adult Fanfiction
- Purity Police Redux: Next, They Came for the Advertisers
- More SixApart News
- SixApart Restores Journals
- Six Apart Apologizes
- Six Apart Deletes 500 LiveJournals, Many Fannish
- The Purity Police and Fanfic