Ariel Ponywether has been a fan of The Simpsons since the first time Bart was ten.View all articles by Ariel Ponywether
Bender lusts after victory in a sausage-making contest...which leads to tragedy, mind erasure and a Neanderthal revolution!
The gang takes a trip to Oktoberfest as a bonding exercise, and while Fry manages to embarrass Leela by rebelling against the stuffy strictures of the holiday, Bender involves himself with a sausage-making contest.
This episode is classic-era Futurama all the way, taking its place next to “The Late Phillip J Fry” and “Prisoner of Bender” in the pantheon of great Futurama episodes of the Comedy Central era. Combing a ton of funny jokes with an amusingly in-character plot (the viciously competitive Bender doing anything he can to win a trophy at the sausage competition and Fry – driven by depression over yet another break-up with Leela– being his unwitting accomplice) drive forth a plot that finally pulls focus on Fry and Leela’s burgeoning-at-last romance. “Fun on a Bun”, speaking of the Fry/Leela romance, has the best storyline the show’s done about the pairing in quite some time. The “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” riff that comprises the main plot element is deliciously written, and Fry as a prehistoric agent provocateur was an inventive idea. An excellent and MEMORABLE, vivid episode.
LETTER GRADE: A+
Spread The Word
- Movie Review - Ghost Rider: The Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- Review -- Futurama: "31st Century Fox" and "Naturama"
- Review -- Futurama: "Viva Mars Vegas"
- Review -- Futurama: "Near Death Wish"
- Review -- Futurama: "Free Will Hunting"
- Review -- Futurama: "The Six Million Dollar Mon"
- Review -- Futurama: "The Butterjunk Effect"
- Review -- Futurama: "Zapp Dingbat"
- Review -- Futurama: "The Thief of Baghead"
- Review -- Futurama: "Decision 3012"
- Review -- Futurama: "The Bots and the Bees" and "A Farewell to Arms"