Author of the book 101 Little Instructions for Surviving Your Divorce, Barbara has published articles and short stories in collections like the Cup of Comfort series. Her first novel, The Elf Queen, is available from http://Amazon.com and Dragonfly Publishing; the sequel, The Elf Child, comes out in 2011. Also in 2011, Deliverance, a romance from TWRP. By day, a family law attorney, at night, parent to three special needs kids, and a constant novelist. Find out more at http://awalkabout.wordpress.comView all articles by barbara mountjoy
"Computer hardware production and disposal is one of the fastest growing threats to our environment. Powering and cooling computers is an increasing contributor to global warming," says Timothy Griffin, President of Userful. "It feels good to help people around the world Go Green. In fact, last year our users more than doubled the previous year's savings, meaning that in the last 2 years Userful technology has eliminated the equivalent CO2 of taking over 7300 cars off the road!"
The free giveaway started just before Christmas, but due to its popularity has been extended; it is being touted as an additional solution to help the environment for April's Earth Day celebrations.
If we examined our computer use, most of us would admit we only actively use a computer during a fraction of a day. The rest of the time it sits idle, eating up electricity and other resources. By expanding the use of each PC to two or more users, the cost per user clearly decreases. The Userful software can connect as many as ten people to the same PC box, leaving your expenditure in keyboard, monitor and mouse only.
Attaching 10 monitors, mice and keyboards to a single computer reduces CO2 emissions by up to 15 tons per year per system and reduces electronic waste by up to 80%. Userful recently stated that in the last year their software has saved over 13,250 tons of CO2 emissions, the equivalent of taking 2,300 cars off the road.
More information can be found here. There are two free downloads available: a Live CD, which lets you turn your PC into 2 independent workstations without affecting any of the software on your hard-disk, and one for users already running Linux.
Spread The Word
- Movie Review - Ghost Rider: The Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- Movie Review (counter) - The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010)
- Video Game Review - Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Calling all Browncoats!
- Computers Allow Everyman to be Part of the Big Picture
- Privacy on the Net: Easy as a Click
- Virus Enters ISS Systems; No One Knows How
- Graphic Novel/Manga Review--In Odd We Trust
- Autistic Kids Access the Internet More Easily, Safely With New Browser
- Victorian 'Invention' Brings Grandfather's Dream to Life
- Feel Free to Access These Programs--Free!
- Beating the High Cost of Autism Treatment
- Social Networking Sites Come of Age
- Love and Marriage, in True Geek Style
- Handy Science for Kids of All Ages
- Keeping the Net Neutral
- ReactOS: Bringing Power to the People
- "Bang! Zoom!" Google Takes Us Back to the Moon