New Episodes Trickle Into CN, Adult Swim, Kids WB
Tracy is a fairly animated character who reads, writes, but can't draw. This has lead to a life storyboarded in sticky notes, and performed to the soundtrack of 'What's Opera, Doc?'View all articles by Tracy Garcia
On March 7th, the big CN premiere is Chop Socky Chooks, which has already kicked it up in Canadian and UK markets. From poultry experts and animation giants Aardman Productions, it's a mixed 3D and 2D series about kung-fu chickens (seriously!) protecting the mall-city of Wasabi World (no, really!). The title comes from the somewhat derogatory term for the over-the-top martial arts flicks of the '60s and '70s. It also rhymes with an extremely derogatory term which one might have to explain to younger folk.
Contemporary cartoons have previously taken the leap into surreal, takeout-and-buffet Asian tropes, and they've been largely successful. But can Chop Socky Chooks face down current competitors Pucca and Yin Yang Yo on Disney's Jetix? Some viewers want to power up Jetix's old rival and precursor. Toonami enthusiasts have long been critical of the once popular block's lack of airtime and promotional support.
Meanwhile, Eliot Kid and World of Quest have been acquired for CN channels outside the U.S. The latter is reserved for Cartoon Network UK, and premieres in America on Kids WB! on the 15th of March. This season is the last gasp for Kids WB! since CW started downsizing -- 4Kids Entertainment will be in charge of next year's animation block. Yes, that means 4Kids will have two Saturday morning cartoon blocks, both Fox's and CW's [source].
Adult Swim, CN's late-night sister network, is also fairly quiet... if bitingly funny or gloriously violent animation could be called quiet. Besides the staple anime premieres, mature audiences have only the bizarre, billionaire-superhero sideshow Frisky Dingo. The network's pilots aired last May and are available at [as]'s Pilot Week page. Some of these shows are already generating buzz, though there's no telling if that excitement will carry into the premieres. Of these, the adaption of the comic The Drinky Crow Show seems to be the only confirmed order at the time of posting. Stay tuned! Schedules are subject to change.
Spread The Word
- Movie Review - Ghost Rider: The Spirit Of Vengeance (2012)
- Movie Review (counter) - The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader (2010)
- Video Game Review - Ghostbusters: The Video Game
- Calling all Browncoats!
- Graphic Novel/Manga Review--In Odd We Trust
- Review: Chowder -- Sweet Dreams with Tone Loc and Jon Polito ("The Heavy Sleeper", "The Moldy Touch")
- The Cartoonstitute Means Cartoon Network is Upfront for 2008
- Review: Smallville -- "Hero"
- Review: Foster's Home for Imaginary P.I.s ("Jackie Khones and the Case of the Overdue Library Crook")
- Review: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends -- "Let Your Hare Down"
- Review: Chowder -- The Running of the Bases ("Sniffleball", "Mung on the Rocks")
- Review: Spectacular Spider-Man "Survival of the Fittest"
- FUNimation channel adds even more programs to its lineup
- Supernatural Season Four Confirmed
- 'Star Wars' Clones Its Way Into Theaters, CN, TNT; Animation Productions Continue
- Holiday Business: Cartoon Network Round-Up for Early 2008
- Review: 'Chowder' Spices Up Cartoon Network